Salary: £44,800 - £67,200, plus car/allowance, depending on experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time
About the Department
SSEN owns two Distribution Network Operators (DNO): Southern Electric Power Distribution and Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution. SSEN is actively progressing the transition for each DNO to perform the role of Distribution System Operator (DSO). In the move to low carbon technology and maximum choice and flexibility for system users and customers, the success of this transition is critical to the future of the business.
Within DSO, we have several different departments which include System and Network Planning, Pricing and Forecasting, Operational Technology and our Control Rooms (North & South).
What is the Role?
This role will be responsible for managing the business-as-usual activities of the EHV Control team to ensure the safe operation of the Southern Electrics System. You will act as deputy to the Head of Control (South) and ensure the effective management of the network to minimise impacts on customers and IIS. You will ensure all of the Control Team prioritise safe working and leading customer performance whilst delivering the optimum business targets.
The key responsibilities of this role will include:
* The 24/7 real time management of Southern Electric Power Distribution's Critical National Infrastructure to ensure the safe, efficient and effective operation of the system,
* Ensuring, without compromise, that all staff are appropriately informed, trained, authorised, instructed and supervised to ensure safe outcomes. Leading by example to foster a positive SSEN culture and the maintenance of standards for Safety, Health and Environment (SHE).
* Demonstrate continuous improvement in network management through the identification of system and control applications investment opportunities to deliver sustained CI and CML performance. The day to day management of the network including system events ranging from severe weather conditions to low frequency and Black Start events which can have serious impacts on the 2.9m customer base.
* Ensure the Control Teams support others in the analysis of the network to identify where interventions are required and support their resolution across the voltage ranges.
* Work with the Head of Control (South) to develop departmental budget, ensuring there is a financed and effective succession plan.
What do I need?
In order to be considered for this role you will be educated to Post Graduate degree level in Engineering or have significant technical experience. You will have strong people management skills and significant experience of leading and motivating technical teams and will have a sound understanding of both the Grid and Distribution Codes. Significant knowledge and experience in leading the development of strategies within system operations and across the wider business is a necessity for this role as is a full understanding of the responsibilities of managing Critical National Infrastructure
Knowledge and understanding of the UK regulated environment, particularly licence obligations and Network Codes relating to emergency situations and commercial understanding of value drivers for delivery of operational services are also required.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
Well let you know the outcome of your job application after the closing date. To discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch with
The successful candidate may be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process if their vetting level changes. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it.'
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.