Salary: £32,700 - £49,100 depending on skills and experience + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent| Full Time | 37 hours per week | Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE's obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future
As Finance Manager/ Accountant (Systems Operations & North Caledonia), you will be responsible; for supporting financial aspects of Distribution System Operations (DSO) and the Regional Operating Model for Customer Operations (SHEPD Distribution) including accurate and timely execution of general accounting, period end closing and reporting activities; the delivery of financial management information & reporting to business management and the finance community; and budgeting & forecasting activities as well as maintaining a robust financial control framework. As a natural monopoly, our Distribution business is subject to regulatory oversight by the industry regulator, Ofgem. As such we have a 'Regulatory Contract' (referred often to as a Regulatory Licence) in which we are required to comply with a number of obligations and underpins our financial and business performance drivers.
This role will support the Regional Operating Model for Customer Operations (SHEPD Distribution). There are three regions within Customer Operations SHEPD - Highlands & Islands (H&I), North Caledonia & South Caledonia. The role will be aligned to the North Caledonia Region, and also support the System Operations Directorate. The role will be based in our Inveralmond office, however, there will be a requirement to visit and work from sites across the business (e.g. Aberdeen / Reading / Glasgow) on an adhoc basis to enable a close working relationship & provision of financial support to the Head of Region for North Caledonia & the Director of System Operations and their teams. In addition, the successful candidate will be required to work closely with the Distribution Finance Manager, the Director of Finance for Distribution, and other key internal stakeholders across Finance & the Group. The need to understand how the business operates and the nature of our regulatory obligations under our RIIO price controls are a key aspect of this role as well as providing support and robust challenge to colleagues.
The role will require you to work on your own initiative, understand complex issues, and convey this succinctly and clearly to inform decisions. This is a varied and challenging role with key responsibilities as follows:
- Monthly Accounting of Distribution Use of System (DUoS) income; includes preparation, analysis & price / volume variance reporting.
- Ensuring financial information is prepared on an accurate & timely basis. Undertake & review financial analysis for key performance reporting (KPIs will be both financial & non-financial), and for inclusion in both the Regional & Directorate reporting packs.
- Co-ordinate with other DNOs with respect to the LCNF T2 awards. Ensure compliance with Ofgem license conditions and complete regulatory returns for Networks Innovation Projects. Ensure compliance with external funding stream requirements, review claims and manage external audits.
- Supporting and challenging the business. Understanding key financial drivers and commercial processes. Coaching the business in effective financial management, providing insight and understanding of risks and opportunities, and working with Operations and Asset Management to supporting the drive for productivity and efficiency. Acting as "independent critical friend" to support good management decisions.
- Representing finance during monthly / forecast review meetings and business's team meetings; visiting sites within the Region and also internal stakeholders; and being an integral part of both the DSO & North Caledonia teams driving the delivery of revenue projects & other indirect costs within budget and on time.
- Support effective financial control across Distribution Finance with inputs into; control account reconciliations, balance sheet analysis, project ledger to general ledger reconciliations, bad debt reconciliation and working with the business to manage purchase ledger house-keeping.
- Supporting budgeting & forecasting for Distribution (covering DUoS, Direct Costs, Revenue projects & other controllable costs such as employee related costs); including identifying opportunities to improve the forecasting processes.
What do I need?
- Have experience operating in a commercial finance role within a large organisation with experience of financial operations; reporting on financial drivers & performance; and also co-ordinating, collating and reviewing financial forecasts, and delivering reports and insight on the forecast and have experience of representing finance at financial review meetings (or equivalent) and presenting financial information to Operational Directors.
- Being able to make decisions and recommendations while maintaining independence and professionalism at all times;
- Be adaptable & flexible and willing to visit and work from key sites across the business
- Be pro-active and diligent in approach, be willing to undertake challenging tasks sometimes beyond their 'comfort zone' and be able to work to tight timescales, under pressure and deliver to a high standard;
- Be confident and articulate with the willingness to challenge and support colleagues and the business in a constructive and supportive manner;
- Have an appropriate accounting qualification (ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA) in an equivalent role; or be a part qualified accountant (at a professional stage) or qualified by experience with significant experience working in a commercial finance / management accounting role.
- Be proficient in MS office Applications with an advanced knowledge of Excel and be highly numerate with strong analytical skills
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require submitting your application please get in touch with hannah. We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
This vacancy is open to both internal and external candidates. The successful candidate may be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process if their vetting level changes. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.