Evonetix is a growing biotech company which is set to revolutionize de novo gene synthesis as needed to facilitate the fast-growing and incredibly exciting field of synthetic biology. Our technology integrates chemistry, molecular biology and microfluidics with a novel silicon array capable of independent control of many thousands of miniaturized reaction sites. This allows massive parallelism of the DNA synthesis process and on-chip gene assembly with integrated error removal.
Our community is a closely-knit multidisciplinary and multicultural team of biologists, physicists, chemists and engineers.
We have closed our $30M Series B funding round and moved to a state-of-the-art facility in central Cambridge, allowing us to undertake significant recruitment to enable the development of our commercial desktop DNA synthesiser.
Our novel DNA synthesis approach is based on re-engineered phosphoramidite chemistry that can be thermally controlled by the miniaturised reaction sites of our silicon array. We have demonstrated all the elements of our proprietary technology and are beginning to design our first desktop DNA synthesiser.
We are looking for an experienced integration senior scientist/ scientist to help translate the chemical and biological components and processes from research into production.
As a member of the multidisciplinary product development team, you will play a key role in the system design, development and integration of the key chemical and biological components of our first product. You will be responsible to plan and deliver a programme of experimental work to characterise the inputs and output of our instruments and optimise product performance. You will also contribute to the management of the scale-up and delivery of enzymes for production and the development of bioassays for its quality control.
This is a unique opportunity to contribute towards the development of Evonetix’s third-generation gene synthesis platform.
Essential skills and experience
- Educated to PhD level in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering, or related subject in Biosciences, with relevant industrial experience
- Experience in product development processes; from requirements definition, analysis, architecture design, integration, verification/validation and manufacturing, ideally in a regulated environment
- Hand-on experience of testing and integration of systems – hardware, software, chemistry and biological components
- Demonstrable experience in developing bioassays in microfluidic environments (e.g. functional enzyme assays)
- Proficient in molecular biology and analytical methods for nucleic acid manipulation and analysis, including PCR, qPCR, detection, purification and quantification
- Experience in designing and optimising enzyme formulations to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness and performance
- Experience in transfer of new processes and products to manufacturing
- A successful candidate will be a self-starter, able to work both independently and within a multidisciplinary team, to meet tight deadlines
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
Candidates would have an advantage if they can demonstrate some of these skills: - Hands-on experience with DNA-based assays in microfluidic/ electrophoretic environments - Hands-on experience with sequencing technologies and/or DNA microarrays - Hands-on experience with lyophilisation techniques applied to enzymes - Experience with large-scale production of enzymes - Experience with oligonucleotide and DNA synthesis, either chemically or enzymatically
This opportunity comes with an attractive benefits package which includes a contributory pension, private medical care, life assurance as well as the opportunity to partake in the staff equity scheme. « Return to the search results