Base Location: Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth or Glasgow
Salary: £32,000 - £49,000 depending on skills and experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time, 37 hours | Flexible Working Options Available
About the Department
The Transmission business are in the early stages of an our digital strategy that will see us develop projects and manage assets in a BIM environment. Our in-house CAD team are key to this strategy and are currently on a development path utilising the software available under the Autodesk AEC collection.
We operate under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
What is the Role?
A Senior CAD Engineer is required to join SHE Transmission to help lead the upskilling of our growing team and deliver enhanced processes to enable our transition towards delivering projects using BIM practices. The role will involve expanding the capability of our in house CAD team to deliver design solutions and outputs using the full suite of AutoCAD software including REVIT and Civil-3d.
The Senior CAD Engineer will take ownership and leader of the training plan; manage the production of training manuals and provide and guidance on best practice to the CAD team through this transition period. As well as supporting the CAD team the Senior CAD Engineer will be responsible for modelling support on more complex and higher value projects through the development phase.
As Senior CAD Engineer you will provide design and drafting support to the project and development engineering teams' assigned project(s) and leadership to the CAD team. This involves setting the standard for optimising, validating and verifying engineering design; delivering models, drawings, schematics, diagrams, maps or any other relevant document to required quality and programme, lead in the development of current processes and systems and be a focal point of contact for incoming drawing office requests.
What do I need?
SHET are in the early stages of developing REVIT and Civil-3d capabilities for in-house design development and as such, our Senior CAD Engineer to have the following skills and experience:
- Proficient in AutoCAD. Experience in other drafting packages also beneficial.
- Expert in one area of the Autodesk AEC collection, namely REVIT and/or Civil 3D. Registered trainer would also be beneficial.
- CAD customisation abilities.
- Understanding/use of maps and geo-referencing.
- Understanding the value of Level of Detail and ability to define this for varying project development and delivery stages.
- Good eye for Graphic Communication - ensuring that what you are required to show is easily recognisable and understood.
- Knowledge of CAD libraries/tool palettes and best practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of drawing registers and revision control.
- Ability to rationalise complex problems into simplified practical solutions.
- Knowledge of internal (SHET) and industry standards and specifications and how to apply them would be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate to engineers any complex issues in a clear and concise manner in order to facilitate decision making for the best of the project.
The Senior CAD Engineer will be an excellent communicator, logical thinker and keen problem solver who can determine critical issues and prioritise work while also building key relationships. You will have strength of character to challenge and have the ability to identify opportunities and highlight options or risks to achieve results and to improve efficiency.
If you successfully secure a role with us, you'll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require to submit your application please get in touch. We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.